These Dice Are Loaded: With Cake!

Layla Says Watch Out: The Dice Are Loaded!


Okay...so I'm in the middle of planning a trip to Vegas in November to meet up with various (and sundry) members of my family...far-flung as they are. I was helping the economy (aka shopping) this weekend and I came upon a new baking/decorating book called Confetti Cakes by Elisa Strauss, owner of Confetti Cakes in NYC.

These Dice Are Loaded: With Mini-Cake!

These mini-dice cakes were in her book...which has many other awesome cookies, cakes, etc. If you are into fondant, this is the place to be! The dice look big...but actually they are 3-1/2" cubes...just a bit too big to fit in your pocket!

These Dice Are Loaded: With Mini-Cake!


In a nutshell, first you make the cake on an oblong cake pan (13"x18"). Then you cut it up into 3-1/2" squares. Then you make some frosting. Then you make on of the dice by alternating a square of cake, frosting 1/2" thick, another square of cake, frosting, and a third square of cake on the top. Put the four "dice" on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for at least an hour. I put mine in overnight.

These Dice Are Loaded: With Cake!
Next you get to work with the fondant. I bought mine at Michaels...white fondant. You dye it whatever color you want. I had worked with fondant only once before but this was really fun...mixing the dye in was a bit like pulling taffy and took a while for each piece.

The entire project took about 5 hours..being a newby and all..I made each one a little bit faster. The book is awesome and beautiful. The instruction are clear and the photos of each procedure really show you how to do it...not like some other cook books. I want to work more with fondant...but I think I want to use it on cupcakes. I think it will be my next project....hmmmm, but right now I've got to go make some plane reservations to Vegas!

Rock On!

CQ

13 comments:

  1. Those are so cute! You did a really great job. I loooove Elisa Strauss' cakes. I've seen her on a couple of the Food Network cake challenges...she's amazing.

    How did you like the taste of the fondant? I've tried several different brands and Wilton, which is what the Michael's here sells doesn't have a very good flavor to me. It is fun to work with though. I've also seen recipes for making your own out of marshmallows..sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book review- I'm adding it to my Amazon list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:10 PM

    The cakes look fantastic!!!!! I hear that fondant is very difficult to work with. How does it taste?? Now about Vegas I am going in December. I love it there. Where are you going to stay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. obsessed: I added clear vanilla to the fondant...I read that you could add whatever flavor you like as long it's clear (if using white fondant). So the taste wasn't too bad. As a rule I don't like eating fondant...but it's so much fun to work with! I'm going to try it with some cupcakes...then the eater can just take off the fondant if they don't like it. I did make fondant once (http://52cupcakes.blogspot.com/2005/08/thursday-night-experiment-polka-dot.html)..I was just looking at that entry and it was almost 2 years to today! August 18, 2005...time flys! Something about August must spark my fondant desires! And the other cool thing is that YOU commented on that entry. You have obviously been a very loyal to the Cupcake Queen. She thanks you profusely!

    CQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. heather: Working with the fondant was actually pretty easy. But, again, I was only working on a mini-cake...I can't imagine what it would be like to do an entire wedding cake. I'm going to stick to working with fondant on a smaller scale...like my favorite cupcakes! Not sure where we'll stay in vegas yet. trying to nail it down. how about you?

    CQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:51 PM

    My husband and I will be staying at the Luxor. I thought it was a pretty neat hotel. I have stayed at Treasure Island and it was a great hotel. As soon as you find out where you will be staying let me know. I almost forgot to tell you. My Reeses cupcakes were a big hit with the family. Thanks. Happy Baking! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just browsing the internet, your blog is very, very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:13 AM

    AHHH THESE ARE GREAT! I just made a cake that looked like Pink Fuzzy dice! It was pink frosting and Jr. Mints for the dots....the recipe said to use pink tinted coconut but it didn't tint very well, so I just went with pink frosting.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi CQ,
    I stumbled upon this: http://shanalogic.com/item.php?item_id=1004 Have you seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:14 PM

    Your cupcakes look scrumptious! So glad I stumbled upon this site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous3:31 PM

    wowzers

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous7:59 PM

    You are taking cupcakes to a whole new level....the dice are truly amazing, fondant and all.

    Mary H.
    A sundry family member

    ReplyDelete
  13. you can buy fondant at michaels?!!?!??!?!?!?!?! why didnt i know this?!?!?!? i tried making it with marshmallows and sugar and it took forever ...AND 4 pounds of sugar :(

    ReplyDelete