Week 20: Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Wow! I can believe that it's been 20 weeks since I began this project. It was really fun to make. BB (before baking), we went to a cake supply store in Wheaton, Maryland. It's called "The LIttle Bitts Shop (no web site), and it's a place with a lot of character...just two rooms. But it is packed with cake type stuff...pans, icing...sugar...cup liners...boxes...everything! And they are so nice there!

Time's flying by so fast....this week's cupcake has a built-in surprise...it is filled with homemade marshmallow. But I want to get back to the cake store...I found all these cool cupcake toppers and went crazy...I bought football players, ballerinas, basketball players, bowlers..needless to say, it was quite a bill by the time we got out the door! But, hey! I couldn't help it...I was talking to the owner about my cupcake blog and he was telling me that he doesn't even have a computer, or cell phone..nada..he only writes letters...no email. And, he's happy as a clam. But I could tell he was interested in my blog! it's all about cupcakes, anyway.

You can use any chocolate (or whttever recipe) for the cupcakes. Then you just use a little spoon to hollow out the middle of the top of the cupcake. Use a pastry bag stuffed with the marshmallow and squeeze it in the little hole. I used just the top part of what I took out to cover up the hole. Then I put the frosting over the entire top of the cupcake. It worked like a charm. Everyone here says they taste just like Ho Hos...I guess that's a good thing...I think they taste like an homemade Hostess Cupcake might.

Download recipe: PDF

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:03 PM

    I SOOOO want one...or three :) These look fabulous!!! I have a birthday coming up! *hint hint* :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a fun cake store! But, then again, that could be very dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a similar type cake supply store that I just found. I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:41 PM

    Okay so now I will never be happy with a store bought one...these look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right...I've corrected the problem...try downloading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i made these cupcakes yesteday, and i put the marshmallow filling in before i baked them, and it worked just fine. I just filled the cupcake paper half full. added the filling and then covered it with more batter. (only becasue i was far to lazy to cut out holes in the cupcakes afterwards :o)

    YUMMIE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:24 PM

    Couldn't you just stuff a marshmallow in before baking???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found out that there is absolutely nothing like making your own marshmallow cream. It tastes awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete