Week 22: Granny Smith Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Icing

Today we got back from a few days at Bethany Beach. The weather was two extremes...90 on Friday and 70s on Saturday...but blustery and dark....the ocean was violent...it was almost fall-like. Then today we stopped at Elmer's Vegetable Stand on the way home and bought a pumpkin! This all put me in the mood for something fallish. I came home and broke out the cupcake books and found "Apple Cupcakes" and "Caramel Icing" in Sara Neumeir's Cupcakes Year-Round....mmmmm.

The cupcakes were easy to make...the longest task was dicing the apples. The cupcakes turned out so moist and made the whole house smell like fall. The caramel icing was the perfect match...especially with the Grannie Smith apples. The little bumps on top are actually pits of apple showing through the caramel. It took quite a while to make the caramel, because you have to boil it to 240 degrees and then wait until it goes down to 110 degrees before you can add the final ingredient...unsalted butter.

The caramel does take a long time, but the end result was four thumbs up from the tasting group of four at dinner tonight.

Download recipes here PDF

13 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:32 AM

    I love that you are stepping outside your box and trying new things every week. I am a cupcake fanatic of sorts. I noticed on your latest photos that you have brown cupcake liners. Do you mind sharing where you bought them from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray Bethany Beach! You were in my state. :)
    Those cupcakes look wicked awesome...I think I'll have to try them sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:32 PM

    loved the cakes. Jamers wants you to make green turtle cupcakes with lime. (or flower) ok? swiss chocolate would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a delish combo & as you said - PERFECT for fall. I LUV your cake stand..so cute, where did you get it??

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is actually a plate I bought at Bethany Beach last weekend. They had them in light blue, pink and yellow. Very cute! I'm always trying to find plates to photograph just one cupcake on. The best place so far is Home Goods!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:57 PM

    Hi, Cupcake Queen!

    Have you tried/seen the reusable silicone cupcake cups at Sur La Table? They come in "brights" and "pastels." I wondered how well they worked. I also like SLT's cupcake stand--really cute. And have you seen their cupcake-themed dessert plates? If you look on the web site, they're item #15838.

    So what's your favorite cupcake recipe at this point?

    ReplyDelete
  7. boomer: maybe if the terps get to a bowl (LOL) I'll make turtle cupcakes...but only if you come over to help me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did try the silicone cupcake thinggie...the wierd part was that when I went to take them out of the oven it seemed very unsteady. I haven't used it again.

    My favorite cupcake so far I think was the the coconut cupcakes from the first week. But, I also really liked the cinnamon toast cupcakes from week 10.

    I'm really looking forward to halloween cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:24 PM

    Sniff, I missed them. Leave an office for a bit and not even the plate is left on the table.

    Guess I'll have to just try these myself at home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:45 PM

    A brand new meaning for the Apple Cup!

    (Among other things, it is the annual football rivalry in the state of Washington between Washington State Cougars and the UW Huskies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10:38 AM

    im having problems downloading the recipe...do you have a link i could click on to see it? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I NEED THIS PRINTABLE RECIPE AGAIN =( PLEASE! IF YOU ARE STILL OUT THERE!!! I lost my printed copy =( now the link is dead. THESE ARE SO AMAZING

    ReplyDelete